Remdesivir Emergency Use
For U.S. Healthcare Professionals only.
The Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services has declared a public health emergency that justifies the emergency use of remdesivir to treat coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by SARS-CoV-2 infection. In response, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the unapproved product, remdesivir, for the treatment of COVID-19.
- Remdesivir is an investigational drug that has not been approved by the FDA for any use. It is not yet known if remdesivir is safe and effective for the treatment of COVID-19.
- The distribution of remdesivir has been authorized only for the treatment of hospitalized patients with severe COVID-19. It is not authorized for the treatment of any other viruses or pathogens.
- This use is authorized only for the duration of the declaration that circumstances exist justifying the authorization of the emergency use, unless the authorization is terminated or revoked sooner.
- The FDA issued this EUA, requested by Gilead Sciences and based on their submitted data. The FDA Letter of Authorization for the EUA is available here.
Additional Information for Healthcare Providers:
- Healthcare providers should review the Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers for information on the authorized use of remdesivir and mandatory requirements of the EUA.
- Remdesivir must be administered intravenously. The optimal duration of treatment for COVID-19 is unknown. The suggested dose durations under this EUA are described in the Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers, available here.
- Healthcare providers and/or their designee are responsible for mandatory FDA MedWatch reporting of all medication errors and serious adverse events or deaths occurring during remdesivir treatment and considered to be potentially attributable to remdesivir. These events must be reported within 7 calendar days from the onset of the event. MedWatch adverse event reports can be submitted to the FDA online here, or by calling
- For information about clinical trials that are testing the use of remdesivir for the treatment of COVID-19, please see www.clinicaltrials.gov.